Oud 04-11-2015, 17:48
abc1
Hallo,
ik heb voor school een opdracht gekregen om een Engelse 'letter to the editor' te schrijven. Nu weet ik niet zeker of ik het wel helemaal goed heb, zou iemand hem willen controleren op fouten? heel erg bedankt!
groetjes

Sir,

Sometimes, I hear about children who are seriously ill. Some children are suffering very much and eventually, they die. Such occurrences are very dreadful. Terminally ill children, very pitiable, right?
I read your article in 'The Guardian' about euthanasia for children who are terminally ill. You said that you, as a doctor, are thankful we engage with difficult questions like: Is it acceptable to allow euthanasia for children? According to you, engaging with those questions results in addressing the anguish of people, children included, who find themselves in utterly intolerable situations. Gladly, I would like to comment to your statement by giving my opinion and arguments.

Of course, I understand your argument entirely. Yet, I do not totally agree. I think it is not right to make euthanasia for children negotiable, because euthanasia for children simply should not be allowed at all. The oldest oath in medicine says 'First, do no harm'. When it comes to treating children, doctors should be especially mindful of this obligation. Physicians have to give health and hope for improvement priority. My opinion is this applies in all cases, even if a child is terminally ill and has to suffer. In fact there are always some ways to alleviate the pain. When a physician suggests euthanasia for an ill child, he takes away all hope of the parents and their child.
Furthermore, I think, if now euthanasia is allowed for children, the boundaries will be shifted further and further. Perhaps finally very sick children could be pressured into choosing death, because of the fact that terminally ill people cost much money. Namely, healthcare is expensive, so it should be better to apply euthanasia to people (including children) who are seriously ill. This would be terrible.
Moreover, children cannot make a decision about their own death, they are still too young for such decisions. So the parents should have to take this decision. I think that is very cruel. From your words I could conclude that you think it is acceptable to address the anguish of people and therefore, euthanasia should be negotiable for parents of incurable children. But that is not true, the anguish of people is being fueled, because of the death of their child comes closer to them.
So, it seems clear to me that euthanasia cannot be applied to children. Perhaps, you might wonder what than should happen with terminally ill children who suffer unbearable. I think that in almost all cases, palliative care is still possible. In that way, the suffering of the child can be alleviated.

Above all, I believe that God decides about life and death. That is why we, as puny humans, may not make an end to someone's life. Even though it seems to us like there is no hope of recovery, we should not lose hope, because God can do miracles. Therefore, we should never allow euthanasia for children.
Met citaat reageren
Advertentie
Oud 04-11-2015, 19:47
mathfreak
*ik geef hieronder de tekst met de nodige correcties weer*
Dear Sir,
*de aanhef in een formele brief begint altijd met Dear, gevolgd door Sir of Madam*
Sometimes, I hear about children who are seriously ill. Some children are suffering very much and eventually, they die. Such occurrences are very dreadful. Terminally ill children, very pitiable, right?
I read your article in 'The Guardian' about euthanasia for children who are terminally ill. You said that you, as a doctor, are thankful we engage with difficult questions like: Is it acceptable to allow euthanasia for children? According to you, engaging with these questions results in addressing the anguish of people, children included, who find themselves in utterly intolerable situations. I gladly,would like to comment on your statement by giving my opinion and arguments.

Of course, I understand your argument entirely. Yet, I do not totally agree. I think it is not right to make euthanasia for children negotiable, because euthanasia for children simply should not be allowed at all. The oldest oath in medicine says 'First, do no harm'. When it comes to treating children, doctors should be especially mindful of this obligation. Physicians have to give health and hope for improvement priority. My opinion is this applies in all cases, even if a child is terminally ill and has to suffer. In fact there are always some ways to alleviate the pain. When a physician suggests euthanasia for an ill child, he takes away all hope of the parents and their child.
Furthermore, I think, if now euthanasia is allowed for children, the boundaries will be shifted further and further. Perhaps finally very ill children could be pressured into choosing death, because of the fact that terminally ill
people cost much money. Namely, healthcare is expensive, so it should be bitter to apply euthanasia to people (including children) who are seriously ill. This would be terrible.
Moreover, children cannot make a decision about their own death, they are still too young for such decisions. So the parents should have to take this decision. I think that is very cruel. From your words I could conclude that you think it is acceptable to address the anguish of people and therefore, euthanasia should be negotiable for parents of incurable children. But that is not true, the anguish of people is being fueled, because of the death of their child comes closer to them.
So, it seems clear to me that euthanasia cannot be applied to children. Perhaps, you might wonder what than should happen with terminally ill children who suffer unbearable. I think that in almost all cases, palliative care is still possible. In that way, the suffering of the child can be alleviated.

Above all, I believe that God decides about life and death. That is why we, as puny humans, may not make an end to someone's life. Even though it seems to us like there is no hope of recovery, we should not losoe hope, because God can do miracles. Therefore, we should never allow euthanasia for children.
Oud 04-11-2015, 21:55
Francisss
mathfreak, jij bent goed in engels ;-)
Met citaat reageren
Oud 04-11-2015, 22:32
abc1
Ontzettend bedankt voor de reactie!
Met citaat reageren
Oud 04-11-2015, 22:32
Martinnnn
Citaat:
mathfreak, jij bent goed in engels ;-)