Registreer FAQ Ledenlijst Berichten van vandaag

Ga terug   Scholieren.com forum / Kunst & Cultuur / Muziek
Reageren

Topictools Zoek in deze topic
Oud 08-06-2005, 19:51
Carn
A concert in seven movements, for chamber orchestra and thrash metal band.

This piece shows, maybe more than any other piece I’ve written, my eclectic musical background. My early influences from classical music, european avant garde, heavy metal and jazz is very evident in this music I think.

The twelve tone influence from Schönberg and the polyrhytmic influence from Conlon Nancarrow and Zappa. The angular sound of Eric Dolphy and the dark melancholy of Gorecki. I also hear the influence of Miles Davis and the Metal rhythms of Meshuggah and Darkane in the piece.

I started writing “The Seven Deadly Pieces” in 1996. The idea was to write something over a theme, and what could describe our world today better than the seven different emotions: Pride, Greed, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Wrath and Sloth, also known as the seven deadly sins.
I decided to write a concert in seven movements with different instrumentations for the different “sins”.

When I started writing I wasn’t sure what instruments to use but I knew that it wouldn’t be a traditional setting. The piece evolved around piano and percussion and the more I composed the more things started to take form. In the end I ended up writing the whole piece for a chamber orchestra and thrash metal band.

In 1997 I did a recording of this which I paid for myself. Peter Wildoer and Christofer Malmström of Darkane played all the metal parts.
The orchestral parts were recorded and overdubbed by local musicians from the different orchestras. Due to financial limitations I had to compromise and unfortunately leave out a lot of the arrangements that I had originally planned. The recording became a huge disappointment and I had invested a lot of money into something that I wouldn’t want to release. But it was an OK pre-production of the music if I ever needed to present the idea for a concert arranger. For several years I worked on other things and “The Seven Deadly Pieces” was put on hold, and I didn’t have the energy to go into all that again.

Five years later music producer Per Nyren got hold of the recording via guitarist Christofer Malmström and he became interested in the music.
Per called me and asked if it would be possible to perform all this live. I said yes without knowing how much work it would be on my part.
When Per Nyren and the Henry Dunker Culture Center asked me in 2002 if I wanted to premier and perform the piece in their concert hall I decided once and for all to rearrange and finish what I had started. I added certain things in the score and for instance utilized the string quartet a lot more. I ended up with over 200 pages of music and about 50 minutes of music.

I learned that putting together rehearsals for 14 people and making sure that everyone got their parts in the score is not an easy task.
I think I ended up with 500 pages of copies that I had to send out to everyone. It was also a bit brave from my part to decide to play all the piano parts myself as well as conducting, organizing and making sure all the parts and tempos were OK. We only had one concert booked since it was too expensive to get this circus on the road. I also decided to record the whole thing and video the concert in four different camera angles. The idea was to do a DVD of the concert in the future. We only had one chance to get this right. The concert date got closer and closer and I didn’t eat or sleep much during this time. I lost a lot of weight and I got a bad back ache. During an interview I couldn’t even get out of the chair because my back hurt so much. In the end the concert went well and about 300 people showed up that evening. Never before had the Culture Center seen such a mixed audience, young and old, classical and metal, cheering and giving us a standing ovation. The concert was recorded and videoed and is being edited for a DVD together with a documentary about me and my music made by Johan Larsson and Per Christoffersson.

Sju Dödliga Stycken (The Seven Deadly Pieces)

S.a.l.i.g.i.a.
Konsert i sju satser, för kammarorkester och thrash metal band, baserad på de sju dödssynderna.
(Concert in seven movements, for chamber orchestra and thrash metal band.)

Prologue
Superbia (Högmod) Pride
Avaritia (Girighet) Greed
Luxuria (Otukt) Lust
Invidia (Avund) Envy
Gula (Frosseri) Gluttony
Ira (Vrede) Wrath
Acedia (Lättja) Sloth
Epilogue

Musicians

Lale Larson (piano & keyboard)
Niklas Fredin (trumpet & flugelhorn)
Jan Karlsson (electric bass & Acustic bass)
Christofer Malmström (electric guitar)
Stefan Rosqvist (electric guitar)
Peter Wildoer (drums)
Johan Bridger (marimba & vibraphone)
Thomas Widlund (marimba & vibraphone)
Daniel Pålsson (percussion)
Jonas Holmberg (percussion)
Paul Slawic (violin 1)
Kristina Gustavsson (violin 2)
AnnaKarin Holm (viola)
Marit Sjödin (cello)
Malin Petersson (fluta)

snippet:
http://lalelarson.com/mp3/The_past_p...%20preview.mp3

trail0r:
http://lalelarson.com/videos/Seven_D...es-Trailer.mpg

Laatst gewijzigd op 08-06-2005 om 19:54.
Met citaat reageren
Advertentie
Oud 08-06-2005, 22:05
Carn
check mn intellectuele shit eens gvd
Oud 08-06-2005, 23:42
Tsasil
Leuke poging, jammer dat de verschillende stijlen er afzonderlijk zo uit te pikken zijn en het een samenraapsel van cheesy crap is geworden.

Als ik een componist was zou ik eigenlijk toch wel pogen zelf iets te creeeren.
Reageren

Regels voor berichten